Thursday 21 April 2011

A-Z blogging challenge "R" - Reading



I have no doubt I'll be far from the only person talking about Reading for the A-Z letter "R". But I figured I could make this entry double as an update on what I've read so far this year, what I'm reading now, and generally how goal #12 on my list for 2011 is coming along!

So far this year I have read the following books:

  1. The Gathering Storm - Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson
  2. Towers of Midnight - Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson
  3. The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner - Stephenie Meyer
  4. Body Surfing - Anita Shreve
  5. Piratica - Tanith Lee
  6. To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee (A'vron Classic Read #1)
  7. The Brutal Art - Jesse Kellerman
  8. The Calling - Inger Ashe Wolfe
  9. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen (A'vron Classic Read #2)
  10. About A Girl - Joanne Horniman
  11. Grotesque - Natsuo Kirino
  12. Curiosity Thrilled the Cat - Sofie Kelly
  13. Breakfast at Tiffany's - Truman Capote
You can read my reviews (which often contain spoilers) at GoodReads.

And my 14th book is the third read in the Classic Book Reads activity I'm involved in through A'vron - Burmese Days by George Orwell. I'm not far off finishing that, and then I have to make the difficult decision about what to read next! Of course, it's nearly May, meaning that I will have yet another classic book on my to-read list soon. But depending on when I learn which book it is, I may or may not have to order it and then wait for its arrival!

Trisha has read 13 books toward her goal of 25 books.
hide

I'm quite impressed by the wide range of genres I've read in so far this year, and it's only going to get more eclectic by the end! I also want to mention that last month I wrote an entry about what I read in primary school. I still love those books. Hehe.

On some entirely unrelated matters, 1) I was interviewed recently over on J.C. Martin's blog. You can read the interview here. 2) I was recently given a Creative Blog Award by Deirdra, but I have yet to acknowledge it on here. I haven't forgotten it though! I will get around to it properly one of these days. Post A-Z, no doubt.

But back to reading... What are you reading right now?

22 comments:

  1. I'm not entirely sure how many books I've read this year. I should probably keep track, but I don't. XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I assume you're not on GoodReads then? :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're doing great with that reading list! Nice variety :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, I have yet to sign up for GoodReads.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brooke, I personally love it ;) It lets you see how many books you've read, and add a list of books you WANT to read. It's great! :D

    Jess, cheers, and I'm having fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great list of good reads there Trisha. At the moment I am reading Kathryn Brown's 'Discovery at Rosehill' Kathryn's blog is Crystal Jigsaw.
    www.crystaljigsaw.blogspot.com

    Love that about Goodreads too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is one impressive list! I am reading a mystery by Mary Higgins Clark, a fiction "Cold Sassy Tree", and a book on devotions for women in crisis. The books are scattered around the house wherever I happen to usually sit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ann, thanks for the mention of that book and the link to Kathryn's blog - looks pretty cool. :)

    Susan - I generally can't read more than one book at a time, but it's been known to happen. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome list!
    Right now I am reading two books at once, while also editing my book and beta reading for a friend. I think my brain is going to explode.

    The books are The Maze Runner and Savannah Grey. So far... really liking both!

    ReplyDelete
  10. great list. I'm currently reading Brent Week's The Way of Shadows

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bravo Trisha.

    I just finished reading CassaStar, by Alex Cavanaugh, and I'm hoping to start on the short story anthology An Honest Lie 2.

    So many books to choose from.

    .......dhole

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, you've read quite a few books this year, well done! I think I'm only on my... 7th book!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm currently reading Seeking the Sacred by Stephanie Dowrick, which is basically about how you can have a spiritual life without being 'religious' as such. I don't read much non-fiction normally but this subject is of great interest to me and I'm getting a lot out of it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great list, girl. I love To Kill A Mockingbird. Right now, I'm reading the first three books in a series by author Ian Irvine. I need to get over to my GoodReads to add them and grade 'em too. These books are MG. I read what I write, so MG and picture books. Some times I get to read a big peoples book. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well done, Trisha! There is no better way for a writer to learn craft than to read widely. Right now I'm reading Up Country by Nelson DeMille and Do They Know I'm Running by David Corbett. They're both in the political thriller camp - not usually one of my preferred genres.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice list of books! I'm curious to know what you thought of Bree Tanner...

    ReplyDelete
  17. @LB, for what it's worth, this was my (very brief) review of Bree Tanner:

    http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/142335096

    @VR - I need to read more specifically in my genres. It's something I haven't ever focused on for my own writing's sake. I've just gone where random events take me, when it comes to reading. :D Still, it's been fun!

    @Jenni, you ARE busy! LOL. Makes me tired just hearing about it! And yet I'm sort of in the same boat (apart from the reading TWO books thing)

    @Donna - don't I know it! I've got a whole bookshelf full of unread books.

    @Lynda - I haven't heard of that. Will have to check it out!

    @Rachel - the trick? read short books! ;) I don't consider myself a fast reader, yet I do seem to be getting through a fair few.

    @Cally - sounds interesting. I'm not religious at all, but I enjoy hearing other people's perspectives on their beliefs.

    @Robyn - For some reason I didn't realise Ian Irvine wrote MG. His books look like fun! ;) Just checked out his site. and I love GoodReads!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Impressive list. I'm going to start in on a scifi as soon as I'm done with revisions in a week.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Goodreads is about the only thing keeping me from becoming a book hoarder. Or a bigger big hoarder, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Chris - in a week?? heh, my revision are stretching into the horizon, I can't imagine them ever ending! lol.

    Dan - I don't know that GoodReads STOPS me becoming a book hoarder... I guess it does let me add books to my "TO READ" list so I don't have to buy them immediately or risk forgetting about them :P

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow..u read 13 books already (for this year)..Ur book list seems interesting..
    I didn't read much in 2010 so I'm trying to read 2 books per month for this year..so far I did it for Jan & Feb..managed to read 1 book in Mar..as for April..none completed yet..

    ReplyDelete
  22. Graywolfie - yeah, I'm trying to read shorter books so I can read more of them. LOL. It could be seen as cheating, but I'm okay with that! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your words, me hearties! and don't forget to leave a link to your blog somewhere I can find it!