Tuesday 10 April 2012

A-Z ... IN COLD BLOOD




For the A-Z challenge of 2012, I'm posting an A-Z list of books I want to read, inspired by my GoodReads "to read" list (which is rather long). We're up to I, and for my I book I've chosen...





I


In Cold Blood - Truman Capote

On November 15, 1959, in the small town of Holcomb, Kansas, four members of the Clutter family were savagely murdered by blasts from a shotgun held a few inches from their faces. There was no apparent motive for the crime, and there were almost no clues.

As Truman Capote reconstructs the murder and the investigation that led to the capture, trial, and execution of the killers, he generates both mesmerizing suspense and astonishing empathy. In Cold Blood is a work that transcends its moment, yielding poignant insights into the nature of American violence.

Why do I want to read it?
 
It's been recommended to me from various quarters, it's a bit of a classic, and I like the sound of the story (no, I don't mean I'm a huge fan of murder and mayhem...!).

6 comments:

  1. That book was the first non-fiction book I ever read and it has haunted me since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm that worries me...don't want to be haunted! But I've read other books that haunted me, so why not one more? :)

      Delete
  2. This one sounds interesting, I just might have to check it out - thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I could ever read anything Capote after seeing the movie Capote, I hated it and I hated him (well, Philip Seymour Hoffman who is disgusting to me, and I deny his skills as an actor even though he displays quite a range)--rant over. Enjoy the book :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get a bit icky about Philip Seymour Hoffman too - mostly he seems a bit creepy. I do think he's a good actor though ;)

      I shall still read the book though! haha

      Delete

Thanks for your words, me hearties! and don't forget to leave a link to your blog somewhere I can find it!