Wednesday 29 May 2013

Travel Series: ENGLAND



In the last installment of this series, I had just finished telling you guys about the epic trip I took across the U.S.A. in 1998. Today I'll talk about the next leg when we headed for England, the country where I was born. That's the main reason we were going to England, but there was also the fact that it's a groovy place to visit, and is a definite hub on the way to Europe!


Accidentally "art".


For the first two days in London, I didn't do much at all, just hung around relaxing (and getting a sore throat). I wrote letters home, and reading them again now it's pretty obvious I was getting worn out and a little fed up. Travelling with Dad is definitely an adventure, but it does tend to wear an ordinary mortal out.

On Day 3 I ventured out into London to visit the Tate gallery and others. This was where I got to see works of Dali and Epstein. In particular, Epstein's Rock Drill was a work I was fascinated to see, because I had studied it so much in high school for assignments. It was amazing seeing these works with my own eyes.

Real type art.



Then, on Day 4, it was time to leave the big city and end our R&R. We got a National Express bus from London Victoria Coach Station and went to Newcastle-upon-Tyne. From there we hired a car and explored some of the English countryside. During this time, I saw the building I was born in. Unfortunately we couldn't go inside, but at least I got to get my photo taken outside it:

Yep, I was born here.

Ain't that beautiful?

Sheepies! I love da sheepies!

Next we went to Edinburgh for a (very) brief foray into Scotland (so brief it really didn't count for much). Here we saw the "huge old castle - my FAVOURITE!" I have vague recollections of some moments in Edinburgh, but I remember it far better from last year's return trip. Another place we visited was the little town where my mother's father was born, Douglas Water, which I'm pretty sure we've all visited by now.


Back in Newcastle we returned the car, and got the bus back to London. From there it was on to the White Cliffs of Dover to board a ferry for France! I'll write about that next time.

So bootipoo!

16 comments:

  1. Very nice. I love the UK. I've never gotten ENOUGH time there, though I had a conference that gave me 5 days in Glasgow, so that was very cool. But I'd love to spend longer there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So did you journal at all while you traveled or too young to jot down your thoughts? In which case, this will end up being your delayed "journal".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did keep a journal, but it's all over the show in terms of chronological order and...discernibility. haha. I will have to illustrate what I mean by that someday, with images!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like another great trip, never been, maybe one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am SO jealous! I've always wanted to go to the U.K. (and possibly live there).

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. You were brave to drive! I've both lived there and visited and would never get behind the wheel.
    Cool you got to see the house, even if you couldn't go inside.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hadn't known you were born in England. Very nice. I was born in a hospital in Southern Indiana, which is significantly less dramatic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome trip! I can't wait to go back to England...

    ReplyDelete
  8. And Scotland! And Wales! And...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I visited the U.K. a long time ago (I'm waaay overdue for another visit...) and really enjoyed London! Such a vibrant city!
    Great pics Trisha! You got to see the building in which you were born. How cool is that?

    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I would love to go there someday! After reading this and seeing your pics, I want to go even more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohhhh... it's my DREAM to go to Edinburgh!!! So incredibly jealous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish I'd go to England, too! Soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Trisha - living here is pretty awesome .. I was up in the Borders last August and still have to write about it .. Just glad you had time to spend with your father .. and you certainly travelled around .. glad you could see the house where you were born. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  14. Douglas Water is pretty much just down the road from me! There's a castle there too. I love the picture of the house where you were born, I know it's probably the top of a car, but it looks like the middle of a lake! We should meet up if you ever happen to be up this way again. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your words, me hearties! and don't forget to leave a link to your blog somewhere I can find it!