Wednesday 6 January 2016

IWSG #17 - I need a day / week / month / year plan



I feel like it's been a while since I posted for ISWG - and it has! The last time was in early November. So I'm back to kick off a new year, and I hope I will remember to post each month for IWSG this year. However, I'm not really feeling all that positive about my chances of meeting every goal I want to meet in 2016.

I have been accepted into a course of study at the university I work at, which should be good professionally, but which has me nervous because I haven't studied (in a proper university course) since 2006, and if I'm honest, I don't miss having homework. ;) So I'm not sure how I'll go, but I am determined to get as much out of the opportunity as I can.

My tentative plan is to do up a chart that I have to tick tasks off of each day. I thought I could use stickers, like shiny stars or something, as motivation - because dumbly enough that would actually motivate me! This chart would cover everything from eating the right foods (2 fruit & 5 veg, right? or something), doing my daily stretches to prevent my spine from fusing into one long column, fitting in study time, and fitting in creative work.

This plan isn't in place yet, so currently I am feeling insecure in my capacity to manage everything - my diet and general wellbeing, my up and coming studies, my kitty rescue work, and ... what's that other thing I like to do? Oh yeah, creative stuff! This includes creating music, creating stories, and creating art. Most of which I am not working on at all.

Wish me luck in getting a good routine going!

I hope you are all feeling very secure today. :)

14 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the acceptance.
    If the stars motivate you, do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your acceptance! I bet it will be a great opportunity for you. Good luck of getting your routine settled. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Trisha - good luck with getting a structure into your life ... because you have lots going on - brilliant news about the course ...

    Enjoy it all - that's the main thing ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on making it into that course! I would love to do something like that and plan to take some online courses this year to help with my writing. :)

    I know someone who uses stickers on a calendar to illustrate how much writing she got done. The more stickers there, the more she wrote. I think it's a fabulous idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best wishes in getting your routine started. You have a lot on your plate. You definitely need a plan. You can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck, Trisha! I would dread the thought of homework again, but the key is to break up what you have to do and tackle a bit at a time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck! Sounds like you have a good plan. My husband wants to go back to school and take at least one class too. Here's to a great 2016 for all of us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with the university.

    I used to do a chart for my day, just to keep me on track. For the most part, it worked.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Writing down a plan and checking off boxes helps me stay motivated too. Sometimes we're doing way more than we give ourselves credit for and seeing it in black and white proves we can get stuff done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your determination will get you through, and it's great you know what works for you when it comes to motivation. Best wishes for your plans and study.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope the shiny stickers work for you, and you get in lots of creative time. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like me! I love these kinds of detailed charts. Then I end up changing them all around every few months. Right now I really need to focus on adding editing into substantial blocks of the schedule...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck on meeting your goals. Having a plan is a good start, but keeping it simple and straightforward is key. That's why I make weekly goals - it breaks up the big things into managable chunks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Best wishes!!! I started something "different" this year - I keep track of my accomplishments. Yes, I have goals, but I love writing down what I've actually done in a two-day time slot. (I do two-day time slots because I'm a little random in my energy levels.) So, my list from the other day looked like this:
    1. Wrote 1,105 words.
    2. Walked 1 mile.
    3. Biked 3.2 miles.
    4. Had a cup of tea with honey. (don't ask me how that's healthy or good, but I put it on there)
    5. Talked with daughters.
    6. Wrote this list.

    I know it doesn't sound all that different from goal-keeping, but it feels really good to write down what I actually accomplished instead of seeing a list of things I haven't done yet.

    Anyway, just a thought.
    Happy writing and life!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your words, me hearties! and don't forget to leave a link to your blog somewhere I can find it!