Sunday 4 March 2012

My laptop aims to misbehave

She likes my laptop too.
I've had this little laptop since just before NaNoWriMo 2008. I bought it just in time to start writing my second Squeaky McLean novel. Which, ahem, I have yet to complete. But none of that is the point. The point is that my laptop has been through many trials and tribulations with me. It's given me much joy and, lately, a fair bit of pain(-in-the-butt-ness). It has been with me while I recorded many a song, it's been with me while I wrote many a novel and short story and the odd poem too. It was with me when I made my first post in this blog! It's also travelled the world with me. Basically, we've shared good times.


And he's all, "This thing's niiiice.
Think I'll make it mine."
Either it needs a new battery, or it's planning on dying sometime soon. It's not even that old, and it's a beautiful Mac, and Macs aren't crap right? Maybe it's just trying to tell me, "Enough! You have worked me into the ground, this is slave labour, my joints ache and I'm old and damn it it's my time to go!" But I'm not giving up on this little baby just yet.

Ordinarily I'd have a Sunday Session and maybe some other random thing for ya today, but instead I'm going to whine about my stupid (lovely, I love you, don't die!!) laptop and call it a day. I hope your laptops are behaving better than mine!!

P.S. I watched HOUSESITTER (Steve Martin, Goldie Hawn) again last night, and it was cracking me up all the way through. It's been ages since I saw that movie. Also, I'm reading BROTHER OF THE MORE FAMOUS JACK by Barbara Trapido, and loving it!

17 comments:

  1. That sucks. I think my camera is planning on walking off into the sunset pretty soon too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dropped my camera the other day too...argh!

      Delete
  2. Sorry for your computer woes. :( I bought a netbook at Christmas time and so far, it's great. I have some limitations because of screen size, but since my husband took over the "big" computer when he started school, I have been thrilled to still get to write!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I considered getting a Netbook for when I go away, but I'm thinking a Macbook Air instead ;) yes, way more expensive but...longer lasting and more functional!

      Delete
  3. Clearly you have better luck with laptops than I do, I have gone through 3 in the last four years lol! Hope yours starts behaving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, poor little laptop! I think maybe I should back up my files today after reading this :) I love Housesitter, too funny:) I left you two awards on my blog today :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, that's just what I did! hehe. haven't quite finished yet...but I have two external hard drives that I back up to.

      Delete
  5. Having so much work in one place always makes me edgy, and yet I still forget to back-up regularly. I hope your laptop lasts a little longer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I always have 3 copies of everything...but they do all sit in the same home... ;)

      Delete
  6. You can buy a replacement battery for laptops. They aren't that expensive...so if it isn't holding a charge, you could get another one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the charge holding doesn't seem to be the problem...but I just read somewhere online that occasionally this issue can be related to an old battery. I dunno, it's working fine today :P silly laptop.

      Delete
  7. Tura Lura Lural, Tura Lura Lie. I love Housesitter. I wish my hubby would mail himself to me in a giant box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe,it was so hilarious how they were reminiscing about all these things that they actually had never done. Every time another story got started, I just fell about in laughter.

      Delete
  8. I know just how you feel. I bought my laptop in 2009 and I don't know what I would do without it. I don't move it and I run cleanups on it all the time. I have my stuff backed up, but that wouldn't console me (well, maybe a little bit) if my computer went down. Take it to a Mac shop and see if you can find out what's going on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to be working okay now...but only when it's sitting on my actual lap. hehe. it doesn't like me resting it on the carpet!

      Delete
  9. I'm definitely a good backer-upperer, though like a lot of people I neglect to back up REALLY regularly. last time I reformatted my Mac, I had saved all my mp3s but not the metadata i'd updated in them. so that was a pain! also my playlists were really out of date that i had saved...haha. i always am much better at saving my writing and own music, though - never fear on that! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your words, me hearties! and don't forget to leave a link to your blog somewhere I can find it!