Friday 26 April 2013

A-Z '13 - Weir & Whatever You Want


During April a bunch of bloggers are participating in the A-to-Z blogging challenge of 2013. My theme this year is an A-to-Z list of classic Aussie tunes - either classic or just plain songs I like. Today's letter is "W", and for W I had the opposite problem to yesterday - craploads of great songs to choose from and a big struggle narrowing the list down. Throughout this challenge I've tried to pick a new artist every day, and so far I've managed. But today it was too hard to choose, so I've also decided to briefly feature two bonus tracks (very tiny vid size so as not to make the post too long ;)) by artists I've previously featured - two songs that are amongst my all-time faves. So here are all my W picks:

Weir - Killing Heidi



Whatever You Want - Something For Kate


Killing Heidi were another Aussie band who started out pretty young - they were discovered in Triple J's Unearthed contest when Ella Hooper was just thirteen. They were quite successful but it kind of died off with their third album. They've been on hiatus since 2006, with Ella and Jesse (brother and sister) doing their own side-project nowadays. To finish, here's a great live acoustic version of "Weir". Something For Kate are a great band who I think are a bit more underground than they potentially could be. But I'm a little ashamed to admit I still only own one of their albums. I was astonished to learn recently that Paul Dempsey has been criticised for his voice, and got really discouraged because of it - seems bizarre 'cause I think he's brilliant. Also, Stephanie Ashworth once got asked to play bass for Courtney Love in Hole. :) What I always think of when I think of this band, though, is how my mum and I were talking about what I was getting a friend for her birthday. I said, "I got her Something For Kate", and Mum said, "Who's Kate?"

My extra features today are the following two songs, one by Silverchair (definitely amongst my favourite songs of all time, from their second-last album Diorama) and what has surely gotta be the best live version of AC/DC's "Whole Lotta Rosie" ever:

 



Honourable mentions:

13 comments:

  1. Hey wait, there's a Laura Imbruglia too? I hadn't heard any of her stuff before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved them both. Had to laugh a bit. My sixth grade teacher's last name was Weir he was an exchange teacher from Sydney!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I vote for Watch Out Boys by Magic Dirt!! Jamming to the video now! thanks! Happy A-to-Z 2013! ~Angela, Whole Foods Living, http://www.wholefoodsliving.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I can't believe she was only 13 when they started out. More new ones for me to listen to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes talented kids get pushed into the music world to young, and end up struggling the rest of their lives.

    My doctor's name was Weir, from Newfoundland.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't really care for the first one, but I like the others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No curiosity will kill this cat

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just to throw my hat into the Weir ring, it's my younger stepdaughter's middle name. Nice tunes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, I loved Weir!

    Big thumbs up on When the War is Over and We're going out tonight! \o/ I'd also have included Who Can It Be Now?

    (I have a crush on Ella too, okay, and Steph)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These were both good. I like the "Something for Kate" story. :D Also, I want to go to the lake they were hanging out at in the video.

    Shannon at The Warrior Muse

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Whatever You Want" is an awesome tune!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved the Something for Kate story. :-D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your words, me hearties! and don't forget to leave a link to your blog somewhere I can find it!