Tuesday 7 May 2013

The A to Z is over - what now?

It seems like a long time since since I did any of my actual writing or revising. The A to Z naturally interrupted things, but I'm also still preparing to move house (settlement won't be for at least a month). The main thing I've been doing to prepare for that is weeding my front yard. We've had a bit of rain which means the weeds in the back have sprung up. But that's a worry for another day. My first priority is getting the front yard sorted. ;)

But back to my writing. This year I've wanted to do a lot of revising. 2013 - the year of revision. But I've realised what my problem is - I can't decide which project to work on first. A writer friend suggested I go with whatever story agents have indicated has the most promise. Problem is, only one agent has ever seen any of my work, because I haven't queried at all except on this one occasion when an agent saw my logline and requested some pages. So the answer to my friend's question is simple. But I love all my projects, and want to work on all of them at once. It's really hard to make a choice in the now.

Not practical, I know, but it's where I'm at. So I have to make a decision and then get on with things.

There's also the fact that I'm soon to release an album worth of my songs, which I've collaborated on with a guy in California. It's going to be a proper album, with a physical CD, a 12-page colour booklet featuring my artwork, lyrics, etc.. It's all pretty exciting, though bewildering as well. But I'll talk about that later, in its own post. :)

What projects are you working on?

11 comments:

  1. good luck with your revision Trisha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome to hear about the album!
    I'm sort of in the same boat as you - 2013 was supposed to be all about revisions so I could start query stuff and submitting to contests, but... One project needs too much work, the other doesn't need much but the opening paragraph sucks and that stalls me from moving forward, and the short stories... What I need is external motivation, like a writing class (or, you know, an agent), so that I can re-start treating this like a real job. Or maybe just a summer off from the day job - pipe dream...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, a proper album! Cool!
    I should be joining you in revision, but I keep wanting to press ahead with more new stuff....le sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with your revisions! Choose the story that calls to you, I say. I'm looking forward to seeing your proper album--cover and all!
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting that you will be releasing an album! Can't wait to see and hear it.
    I'm working on revisions now too and pulling my hair out. Good luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why can't you work on all your revisions at once? Devote a day to each one. Then they'll either all get done, or one will scream louder than the others, and you'll keep working on that one.

    As for me, I'm rewriting two novels. At the same time. It's nice to be able to go back and forth between the two.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Trisha - I think that's great about the music project - seems to cover a variety of things .. your music, your writing ... I'd go with that for now.

    Also you have the house move .. that will the priority for a couple of month's or so ..

    Doing your other writing projects one at a time for a good whack .. so you can fully get back into each one .. without being diverted with other thoughts ..

    So pleased for you - enjoy (hard work but .. fun!) .. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Man, I totally fell down on ANY of my writing in April. A to Z and then book release prep... and I feel like my wheels are spinning.

    I ALSO planned on a lot of revising this year and ALSO have several projects to work on. I keep altering what I want to work on because they have different reasons to rush on them and somehow I can't manage to get going... I THINK though, I will jump FIRST with the GENRE most likely to get formal publishing interest (I have a nearly Cozy Mystery that I suspect might bring a series offer)--I like the security of having part of my writing set up for the formal stream. It feels like a security blanket.

    Funny thing is, I keep wanting to start NEW books instead. *sigh* I need some serious time off to get going, I think. Part of my problem is 'promotion brain' and part of it is the day job is currently draining my creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So excited about your upcoming CD, Le Awesome!!!!!

    I'm focusing on independently publishing my romance novel this year. Have hired an editor, W00T! (That was such a daunting concept and then it all just magically clicked together.)

    If doing a rotation of your projects doesn't work for ya, maybe take a weekend just to putter a bit with each and see if one grabs you?
    Some Dark Romantic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mina - I'm pretty excited as well, though a little bit daunted! haha. I guess this will be my first bit of real experience with self-promotion. eek.

      Delete
  10. Wow Trisha! You are releasing an album with your own original stuff?
    Go girl! That is AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your words, me hearties! and don't forget to leave a link to your blog somewhere I can find it!