Monday 2 September 2013

Novel Films II & In Your Pants blogfests



Today is the start of the Novel Films II Blogfest, hosted by Madeleine from Scribble & Edit. Madeleine ran the first Novel Films Blogfest to celebrate her blogiversary last year. This year she's decided to run a slightly altered verison of the 'fest. Click the link up there to find out more about this blogfest.

I'm going to post on just one day, which is one of the options for participants, and I'm opting to just share a list of movies I've seen that I've also read the novels for. So here goes:



Looking for Alibrandi - This is an Australian YA novel that came out while I was in high school, and our English class (and most in Australia, I'd guess) studied it. To be honest, I can't remember the book that well, but the movie is a favourite. I do remember that the book didn't have a quite as "neatly tied together" ending, and I sort of prefer that.


Breakfast at Tiffany's - In high school one of my best friends was an Audrey Hepburn nut, and insisted it was the only way. Well, this year or last I finally got around to watching my first Audrey movie, Tiffany's. I also read the book, and I'd say that it's hard for me to pick which I like better, as they're different to each other but each good in their own right. But if I was held at gunpoint and asked to choose, I'd choose the book.



The Bone Collector - A friend and I saw this movie at the cinemas when it came out, I think (it's been so long, argh!). I always loved the movie, and it's fixed in my DVD collection. But recently I read the book for the first time, and was startled by some of the differences. Namely the, uh, terrorist subplot that's completely missing from the movie. And Amelia's different surname! I really enjoyed both "versions".



The Black Dahlia - One of my friends is a huge James Ellroy fan, and that's how I first got my hands on a copy of The Black Dahlia. I read it not realising it was based on a true story. Then the movie came out and I saw that, but only on DVD. I thought it was all right, not too bad really, but the book is just creepier, more tragic, more "gritty". That's my sadly faded memory of it, anyway - it's been a while since I read the thing.



Chocolat - I read the book years ago and only have vague recollections of that experience now. I know I enjoyed it. But the movie is one that I revisit every few years, and enjoy immensely each time. It's a bit like eating craploads of actual chocolate without even having to actually crack open a block - you're drinking it in directly from the TV screen. Oh, and there's Johnny Depp.



Memoirs of a Geisha - To be honest, in this case I don't have any strong memories of either the book or the movie. I'm probably drawing all the memories I do have from the book, though. I know the book was fascinating, but I remember feeling confused at beginning and end as I tried to figure out whether this was actually fiction or not.



The Hunger Games - I read the book first, but only just (it was 2012). For everyone else it was way old news. I loved the book, and feel that the movie did a pretty darn good job of living up to expectations. I look forward to the other movies as well, though at least for #1 the verdict is: book wins.



The Ring - I only recently read the book, and loved the sheer wackiness of the plot, which was markedly different to the American movie version. The movie takes a relatively small aspect of the book and conjures up a whole new reason why the crazy dead chick is doing what she's doing. I haven't seen the Japanese movie, but the American one got major points for scaring the crappola out of me. The book, however, wins huge points for being plain weird and wacky.



The Princess Bride - This is yet another case where I only recently read the book for the first time. I have long been a massive fan of the movie, and reading the book didn't change that at all. But I loved the book as well, so I guess there is no clear "fave" winning out here. I will go on loving them both possibly equally. :) 



Twilight - I remember starting to read this book and thinking, "WOW, this is bad ..." and actually goggling at certain parts that were just so bad. And yet I read the book in a day or less, and the entire series in four days (unheard of for slow-reading me). I saw the movie and laughed at the parts you weren't meant to laugh at - my mates and I continue to take the piss every time we watch it. But we watch it quite a lot, which has gotta tell you something, right? This movie's got pull. I have yet to re-read any of the books, but I'm sure I will someday.



War of the Worlds - This is another book that I only recently read. I saw the Tom Cruise version of the movie when it came out, and I vaguely recall enjoying it, though the fact that I can hardly remember any of it may not be a good sign. But I read the book and loved it, and so I think we have a definite book winner here.




Also today is the "In Your Pants" blogfest, which is probably the easiest 'fest I've ever participated in! You can still sign up if you are interested in an activity that takes hardly any effort at all. ;) The rules of this blogfest are as follows:
What are you posting? 
The current book title you are reading and then add 'in my pants' afterwards.
That's it. Simple, fast, and will be super easy to read everyone elses too. Feel free to add links or picture to the books so others can find them.
When is it happening? 
September 2nd 2013. 


So, (one of) the book(s) I am currently reading (well, one of them), is

The Grimm Fairytales In Your Pants

It's a pretty scary read. ;)

15 comments:

  1. Nice list there! If you're up for more Hepburn, I'd suggest Roman Holiday next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any kind of fairy tale (tail...lol)in your pants has got to be scary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, interesting that you had several where the movie was better. It just FEELS so rare to me. Though I confess to liking the Lord of the Rings trilogy better on screen. It's Viggo's fault. And Legolas. And Boromir. And Faramir.. yes, eye candy. But it is ALSO that Peter Jackson captured both humor and sensuality that Tolkein missed.

    Haunted Ground in your pants. So scary...

    ReplyDelete
  4. *LOL* I don't want any Grimm Fairytales in my pants. I know how horrible all those end! Hehehe.

    Great book and movie picks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL- Oh grimm!!!! Thanks so much for taking the time to participate. What a great in your pants title. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ROTFL! Hah, if I'd known about this...but I didn't, so I'll just post what would've been mind here: Murder, Madness, and Love In Your Pants. Hah!

    Ahem.

    You intrigue me with The Ring book/movie comment. So would you say the book wasn't as scary as the American movie? (Have you seen the Japanese Ringu?)

    As for Twilight: I loved the first book and felt compelled to keep up with the series. Loved the romance of Edward and Bella first getting together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really really should read The Black Dahlia. Thanks for reminding me. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Trisha! You've got some great titles there. Forgot about a few of them. Twilight was one of those I really enjoyed the movie and it made me want to read the book--and then I was hooked on the books. Books were way better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yes Trish, I saw Armchair's suggestion! I'm sure you would have seen Roman Holiday. Along with ...Tiffany's it is classic! As is Rome! Swoon!

    It is scary how many of your choices are also mine. Except for The Ring. I adore The Bone Collector, Hunger Games, Looking for Alibrandi especially.

    I finally posted mine,. Bit late, but oh well, I've been sick.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some scary things in your pants.

    The Ring scared me, too. I think I was actually shaking when I came out of the theater. I haven't read the book, but I did watch the Japanese version and found it lacking.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read any of those books :( They're all on my list though and I have seen a bunch of those movies. Breakfast at Tiffany's is one of my favorites!

    If I remember correctly, The Grimm Fairytales is kind of...gory. Sounds like there are some interesting things going on in your pants O_o

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha! Love it!!

    Thanks for visiting my post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice post about novels made into movies. Gives me some ideas of what to watch.
    Grimm fairy tales can happen anywhere! Thanks for coming to see what I was reading In My Pants. (Click on my photo to get there.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow! look at all those books to movies! never thought of some, like chocolat, mmm!

    usually books win. hard to get all the goodness from a book to translate on screen!

    and love your oops post above! ive done that =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. RIVAL in your pants...

    That just sounds weird.

    I've yet to read and watch GEISHA but that one has been on my TBR for a long long time.

    So many good ones listed here, Trisha! I will have to check out that Aussie YA. I'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your words, me hearties! and don't forget to leave a link to your blog somewhere I can find it!