Friday 11 July 2014

Songs of Summer blog hop ~ my 5(+1) summer songs



Welcome to the Songs of Summer bloghop, hosted by the Armchair SquidCygnus and Suze.  On Friday, July 11, 2014, please join us by posting 5 of your favourite summer songs and sharing some memories about them.  Maybe between us, we can build the perfect soundtrack to accompany us over the next few months.  If possible, include links so we can hear these gems.  And, if you're in the southern hemisphere, join us to dance those winter blues away! 
- the Armchair Squid

I am indeed in the southern hemisphere, but unlike most people on the planet, I prefer winter to summer. ;) That doesn't mean I can't appreciate a bloody good summer tune. I actually seem to have particular artists that make me think of summer, not just particular songs. Anyway, here are five songs in my playlist that make me think of summer:


The Ataris - Boys of Summer (Don Henley cover)
Why a summer song? I guess partly 'cause it has the word 'summer' in the title. It's also a song that is "set" in summertime.


John Farnham - Touch of Paradise
Why a summer song? Well, the video clip has someone swimming in a pool. And some of the lyrics talk about flamingos. And there's mention of the sun, even if the sun is hiding. ;)


The Smashing Pumpkins - Sunkissed
Why a summer song? Well, it talks about the sun, and when I listen to this song I can totally imagine sitting on a beach with my headphones plugged in, or driving along with the song blasting from my speakers, or ... going on an epic road trip down the coast.


Unwritten Law - California Sky
Why a summer song? Well, it's about a sky in California. Seriously! Also, Unwritten Law happen to be the one band that reminds me most of summer. So yeah.


Everclear - Santa Monica
Why a summer song? Again, it mentions a place in California. It mentions palm trees. It all reminds me of summer. I also live on the west coast, though in Australia, not America, so I can relate to dreaming of the west coast. ;)


Now, just in case you can't see the Farnsy clip (since it's Australian and sometimes you people seem to have trouble seeing Aussie vid clips), I thought I'd just tack on one more song because ... yes, I like to cheat, and I hate leaving out awesome songs. :D So anyway, this is another song that just reminds me of the molten ocean in summer, so I thought I'd share it too:


Catherine Wheel - Salt
Why a summer song? It just sounds magical and beautiful and mysterious to me - like the ocean is. And it takes my breath away and brings tears to my eyes - like the ocean at sunset does!


39 comments:

  1. Off of Ferment! Old school Catherine Wheel. You rock, Trish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, that's my fave CW album. So amazing from start to end! :)

      Delete
  2. Good selection-I saw Catherine Wheel ages ago at an alternative rock festival in the summer, so I guess I think of them as a summer band, too.

    Love the Unwritten Law tune-just ordered the CD-thanks for turning me on to a new band!

    Can't go wrong with Everclear or the Pumkins, either!

    I couldn't play the Atari's clip, but the original was in contention for my list. Liked the Farnham song as well-not familiar with him either.

    Larry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a big Unwritten Law fan. I'd say the album you ordered is my fave of theirs - some great tunes. "Holiday" is another one that definitely reminds me of summer. :)

      Pity you couldn't play the Ataris clip - I love the original song but I think I love theirs even more.

      I'm just a bit envious you saw Catherine Wheel - I love those guys.

      Delete
  3. Excellent picks! I LOVE The Boys Of Summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, particularly the Ataris version :D

      Delete
  4. Aww, I'm sorry to have missed this blog hop, it looks so fun! Great song choices, especially Everclear and The Ataris. Kind of brings me back to my high school years when I fell in love with those bands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun! ;)

      Everclear definitely takes me back to high school days as well. "Sparkle & Fade" was a definite staple in my later high school years.

      Delete
  5. Hi Trisha - interesting choices .. none of which I know - I enjoyed hearing John Farnham, while your Ocean Catherine Wheel .. had a great mysterious sound about it ..

    Thank you - I'll stay with summer ... or perhaps Spring and Autumn with you .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Hilary :) Farnsy was a staple of my childhood, so I always love to revisit his old 80s classics.

      Cheers, Trisha

      Delete
  6. Thanks for joining us, Trisha! Thanks to the Beach Boys, California is the worldwide symbol of eternal summer. My sister lives in southern Cal and loves it - though she admits to missing cold weather, or even rain, from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree - California = summer, constant sun, etc.. Though I know from visiting CA and living where I do (we have very similar climates, and very similar flora :)), that it isn't *actually* always sunny. :D Just usually.

      Delete
  7. Excellent songs! Love the Catherine Wheel, and you can't listen to the Everclear song and not wanna sing along. Unfortunately, I can't see the vid of Artis though ("not available in your country")..

    Also, like DiscConnected, I'd never heard of The Unwritten Law either. Nice! I enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So annoying that we can't all just watch every video uploaded to YouTube, regardless of regions! :P

      Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  8. I imagine Santa Monica is perfect this time of year Trisha! A wonderful summer song list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me it's probably a bit too hot ;) I prefer cooler weather. But I wouldn't mind it in spring or autumn. :D

      Delete
  9. Ooh, Salt does have a magical, summerish feel about it. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's a song that really grew on me over time, from the brilliant album it's on. But now it's one of my favourites.

      Delete
  10. Cool list. Love Santa Monica. Here's to the west coast, wherever you may be. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Toinette - I definitely have a thing about west coasts. :)

      Delete
  11. Love your post and links. I'm showing my age, as I was not totally familiar with all of them - but I wouldn't pass on any of them, now that I checked out your links.

    Thanks!
    Cherdo
    www.cherdoontheflipside.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries - thanks for stopping by & commenting! I'm glad you enjoyed the tunes.

      Delete
  12. Great choices. Some I've never heard before (yes, I am sad), so I get to hear new stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've checked out a fair few posts for this hop where I don't know most or all of the selections. It's good to hear new music :)

      Delete
  13. I'm so old, I would have put the Don Henley version as one of mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Don Henley version is awesome as well. :) But I have heard a lot of covers of it, and this is one of my faves.

      Delete
  14. Like always, love your taste in music! I think the Smashing Pumpkins always sound like summer. Well, almost always. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost always would be right. I know a few of their songs that remind me of wintery snowy goodness. :D We should have a Songs of Winter blog hop next! ;)

      Delete
  15. Aw, I like the John Farham song. It's all peaceful. :) And I can't access the Ataris link in 'my country.' :(

    Thanks for playing, girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems most people weren't able to access that video - bummer!

      I'm glad you got to hear Farnsy, though :) He's an Aussie classic.

      Delete
  16. II was just listening to the Everclear mix on YouTube yesterday! I so wish that Atari's clip played for me. I wondered how Boys of Summer sounded all rocked out.
    Great post!
    Veronica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I posted some extra links below - hopefully one of them works! :) It's a great version, one of my fave songs.

      I love Everclear :) Art is a great musician.

      Delete
  17. Such a bummer that you guys can't see the Ataris vid! Here are some other links you might try:

    http://vimeo.com/27669666

    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x183ue_the-ataris-boys-of-summer_music

    or go on youtube and you might find at least a live version!

    Thanks for stopping by, everyone! :) I have some serious visiting and commenting to do in return.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My laptop is not cooperating with any links, sometimes it won't even show pictures! Saving up for some new tech: meanwhile, I don't know these songs but I do love flamingos and beaches :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, sounds like your poor laptop needs some TLC ... or to go into retirement. :) No doubt it has served you well in its time!

      I love getting new tech ... my current dream is to buy an iMac, but first I have to refurbish my bedroom so I have somewhere to put it. ;)

      Delete
  19. Like Hilary, I never heard any of these songs before. (That's 'cause I'm the token old fartessa in this bloghop. HA!) But I did enjoy listening to them, especially the last one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan, thanks for stopping by! I'm glad you enjoyed the songs. I'm off to check out your blog now. :D

      Delete
  20. Fun choices! Dang, I wish I was on an epic road trip down the coast right now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! with a great soundtrack to accompany the journey :)

      Delete

Thanks for your words, me hearties! and don't forget to leave a link to your blog somewhere I can find it!