Monday 10 November 2014

NaNoWriMo - 9 days in



I got a late start on my NaNoing on Saturday, but eventually I did get stuck into the writing - and only wrote about 3k for the whole day. Yesterday was even worse, with only 1.7k written.

My explanation is that on Saturday I was exhausted and also had a few things to do - like get my car's carpets shampooed after a beer bottle broke on the front passenger floor Friday night. On Sunday I had a visit from a friend who is in my cat rescue group, and we spent about 3 hours chatting. I also cleaned my house on Sunday. So, yeah, "stuff" got in the way. Still, I got the bare minimum done on Sunday, and more than that done on Saturday. It's all good!

So I'm sitting at 21,761 words after 9 days of writing. Some years I would be over 50k by now. Every year I participate in NaNoWriMo, things go differently for me. One year I'm pretty sure I was at 50k after 6 or 7 days. In 2011, I hit 50k by day 15, and then switched to my second novel of the month. Other times, I've taken until much later in November to hit that winning mark. It's interesting to look at the variation in stats. :)

November is a pretty quiet time of year for Australians, as compared with Americans with their Thanksgiving and so on. But I guess we still have those pesky lives to live, so that is bound to get in the way. :P

How are your Novembers going?

18 comments:

  1. But that's awesome you're on track to do it again, regardless of your speed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I'm happy as long as I'm *just* ahead of the curve, at least. ;)

      Delete
  2. It's all right to slow down for life! Just remember to hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elizabeth! And you're right. Gotta live life, after all. ;)

      Delete
  3. That's an awesome word count! I'm pouting a little that I don't have time to do NaNo this year, but I can cheer everyone on. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christine. And you have other fish to fry this year. But maybe next year you can hop on board again :D

      Delete
  4. Hi Trisha - sounds like you're progressing .. while beer bottle breaks in a car are not good for future scents! However those breaks can give you time to think ... keep going - sounds like you're well on your way ..

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. All that time not spent writing only made me want to write more. :)

      Delete
  5. That's still a very good word count. And so much depends on the story you're writing. Some books are just easier to write than others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Some years I fly along with the writing. Others, not so much. :)

      Delete
  6. Glad you're ahead of the curve, that's great. No doubt life can get in the way sometimes. Good luck with the rest of the month!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're doing much better than me. I've written zero words so far on my project, but I did send my other one to my editor yesterday. So now I have a lot of catch up to do. Yeah, I don't think I'm going to make it to 50 k.

    Good luck with yours!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got a late start, but I hope you've managed to kick things off now! Even if you don't hit 50k, you can at least have fun. :)

      Delete
  8. Best of luck to you, brave soul for entering the Nano! I've never quite convinced myself to do that yet. But I always cheer on those who do. Life does have its own way sometimes. Not much we can do but go with the flow on days like that:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first year doing NaNo, I just jumped right in without even having a plan. It was rather liberating! ;)

      Delete
  9. You're doing well! I think we should look at those unfortunate life events as keeping things interesting. Gotta roll with the punches. I had a rough start too, especially starting on a Saturday when I don't normally work on weekends, then my laptop died a death so I was doing longhand for a few days before digging my stepdaughter's cast aside laptop out of a cupboard. Since then I've been consistently slightly behind, but that's OK, it's better than I've done in the past!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always think I'll get to relax on weekends, but I run all my errands those two days. I do fit in writing, though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your words, me hearties! and don't forget to leave a link to your blog somewhere I can find it!